Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: super pipe?

super pipe?

So we finally get to ride the half pipe, oh horray. This is a bit lame. Actually this is wicked lame. This is supposed to be an olympic caliber mountain and we do not get a pipe until the last month of the season We're just pumping out pipe riders from this area, yea pumping them out to areas with pipes.

I'm no expert, but it looks like they could have saved a bit of time (cash) by doing more excavating/shaping work in the summer.

And how much money was spent on making the pipe this year? The number I heard from an employee (not fact) was in the hundreds of thousands. Suppose passes go up next year too right.

I wonder...would they have even bothered making one this year if the competetion had not come?

I agree, I was pretty dissapointed in Whiteface this season in the pipe department. They have a perfect setup to regulate the pipe riders exclusively with their own lift. Set up some rails on the lead in. I think that would make skiers happy, as well as boarders.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider
    I agree, I was pretty dissapointed in Whiteface this season in the pipe department. They have a perfect setup to regulate the pipe riders exclusively with their own lift. Set up some rails on the lead in. I think that would make skiers happy, as well as boarders.
    It looked like to me they were trying all year to get the thing up and going. They just kept getting busted. January they could not make snow.

How could they make it better.

I say but a tent over the whoel thing and blow snow underneath it. Like those plastic things they put over feed for cows. That will allow all the snow blown to get to the pipe as well as avoid erosion from the rain when it comes. Different? Yes but I think it would work.

Re: super pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by frashdog
    So we finally get to ride the half pipe, oh horray. This is a bit lame. Actually this is wicked lame. This is supposed to be an olympic caliber mountain and we do not get a pipe until the last month of the season We're just pumping out pipe riders from this area, yea pumping them out to areas with pipes.

I'm no expert, but it looks like they could have saved a bit of time (cash) by doing more excavating/shaping work in the summer.

And how much money was spent on making the pipe this year? The number I heard from an employee (not fact) was in the hundreds of thousands. Suppose passes go up next year too right.

I wonder...would they have even bothered making one this year if the competetion had not come?
    Cry me a river. They tried and worked like hell to get that thing up and running but mother nature never was on their side. There are plenty of other places to ride at the Face, the park, in the woods, the slides but all you hear about is how the pipe wasn't open. Big freaking deal. There are plently of other mountains with pipes that if you REALLY REALLY had to ride in a pipe you could go to. Why don't you get a season's pass from one of them dog? Save the whine for the cheese.

Hey, I couldn't care less whether or not there was a pipe, but I'd have to go with the halfpipe being low on the WF priority list as much as I'd blame mom nature. As you point out, plenty of other mountains (who had to deal with the same January) have pipes up and running. Other than that I agree........don't like the way WF sets its priorities and there are plenty of other places to ski or ride.

SOD shut up. Whiteface didnt try their hardest to get a pipe up and you know it. Every other resort that wanted to put one up did, and they had the same crappy January weather that Whiteface did. Just becuase you dont want a pipe, doesnt mean hundreds of other paying customers dont. Plus, it will attract more people to the mt. More people = more money for snowmaking, maybe even that expansion I keep hearing about but never see any progress on. Also, before you flame me for adding people to the mt. look at the setup Whiteface has going for them. I cant think of a single resort that Ive been to in NE that has a better setup for just a halfpipe. They have a lift right next to the pipe that will quarantine all the park rats there, leaving the goods to you. Wheres the problem? Just because youve got a thing against boarders doesnt mean you have to have a thing against the pipe, last I checked skiers ride pipe as well. Arent you supposed to be one of those hospitality guys anyways? Id like to see the reactions you give the gapers on the weekends from Jersey.

Re: super pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by frashdog

their priority was opening up the whole mountain and getting the trails in decent shape. this is the earliest they have had the whole mountain open. They had great conditions all season despite the fact that we had barely any natural snow. I am quite pleased that they did not waste their effort on buiulding a stupid half pipe. They knew about the world cup too...i would imagine that they wanted to wait and make sure that is was pefect for that competition, not build it early and have it ruined by all of the gapers.

I really hate the snowmaking was better spent elsewhere argument. Every resort that wanted a pipe put one in and still had enough coverage on their trails. And let me clarify, Im not demanding a pipe be the first thing they make, let alone the most important. I ride and rarely go into the pipe actually, Id rather find some sweet natural hits than waste my time in a pipe. However the fact of the matter is that the ski industry is a business, and it just doesnt make sense to advertise the World Cup event all year, but only make a pipe the day before the comp, when it wont be used by 95% of Whiteface patrons. I overhead on Sat that it cost a couple hundred grand to make the pipe at Whiteface this year. Does it make sense to spend all that money when they wont be able to recoup much of that money this late in the season? I dont think so. A pipe isnt going to be ruined just cause Joe Veli from Jersey faceplants a week before, thats why they have pipe groomers. Face it, park riding, snowboarding and the freestyle skiing have brought millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of new skiers and riders to the industry. Id like to see where most of you would be without your shaped skis today if it werent for some of the developments snowbaording and freestyle has had on the design of equipment. I just dont understand why people constantly tend to hate on this aspect of the sport these days.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider
    SOD shut up. Whiteface didnt try their hardest to get a pipe up and you know it. Every other resort that wanted to put one up did, and they had the same crappy January weather that Whiteface did. Just becuase you dont want a pipe, doesnt mean hundreds of other paying customers dont. Plus, it will attract more people to the mt. More people = more money for snowmaking, maybe even that expansion I keep hearing about but never see any progress on. Also, before you flame me for adding people to the mt. look at the setup Whiteface has going for them. I cant think of a single resort that Ive been to in NE that has a better setup for just a halfpipe. They have a lift right next to the pipe that will quarantine all the park rats there, leaving the goods to you. Wheres the problem? Just because youve got a thing against boarders doesnt mean you have to have a thing against the pipe, last I checked skiers ride pipe as well. Arent you supposed to be one of those hospitality guys anyways? Id like to see the reactions you give the gapers on the weekends from Jersey.
    You are communicating with narrow minded selfish people in here. Dont argue you can't win. Most are not rational.

their priority was opening up the whole mountain and getting the trails in decent shape. this is the earliest they have had the whole mountain open. They had great conditions all season despite the fact that we had barely any natural snow. I am quite pleased that they did not waste their effort on buiulding a stupid half pipe. They knew about the world cup too...i would imagine that they wanted to wait and make sure that is was pefect for that competition, not build it early and have it ruined by all of the gapers.
    I agree. Was amazing how much mountain was open early on. And yup yup to the gapers like me chewing it up. I've seen what has had to be done in the past to get the pipe to cup reg.s after it was already built.

Sooooo how about a mini pipe early season? Like the size it used to be years ago. Get's us dialed in for when the big one comes. Some good excavating work in the summer would be simple enough.

Cry me a river. They tried and worked like hell to get that thing up and running but mother nature never was on their side. There are plenty of other places to ride at the Face, the park, in the woods, the slides but all you hear about is how the pipe wasn't open.
    Uh Yea.... they sure tried like hell, at the last minute, cause the fact is they got it done when they needed it. Didn't they? All you really heard about is how the pipe was not open, for real? Is that all you really, really hear about? Not how great the snowmaking has been, or how bad the weather has been, or how really really cool the opening of the slides considering the weather has been?

There are plently of other mountains with pipes that if you REALLY REALLY had to ride in a pipe you could go to. Why don't you get a season's pass from one of them dog? Save the whine for the cheese.
    Yes there are lots of other mountains with pipes, none compare to what WF has to offer as a total package for me. Besides the fact I live minutes away. So you know what I'm going to do is voice my opinions and concerns in hopes of improving upon something that is already pretty dam good. Continous improvement is what it's called. And that whine and cheese thing...that's kind of really really old, like middle school old. How old are you son?