Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gore parks

Gore parks

I do not understand what gore is doing as far as terrain parks go. Their biggest mistake was removing the 'half pipe' from the face of the mtn. They have a cutting machine leaned up against the Groomer barn, I dont see why they dont blow 8 feet of snow and make some sort of pipe, Im not saying a 22 ft wall super pipe but at least something mess around in. It is in the perfect location so that the lodge can be amused and its off to the side of a very wide trail, why anyone would complain baffles me.

its hard not to laugh at their terrain parks. worst excuse for parks i have ever seen. Whiteface is the mother mountain, olympic caliber facilities? show it! Dont put your main park on a bunny hill and expect people to be happy.
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Gore always seems to miss the "big picture" with a lot of things. But, to be honest, that's fine with me. I like gore for what it dosen't have: lots of crowds because it dosen't cater to snowboarders or beginners. (if it ever did get its act together with these two huge markets, it could be one of the most popular mountains in the east, but also much more crowded. So, I'm fine with the way it is.)

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry
    Gore always seems to miss the "big picture" with a lot of things. But, to be honest, that's fine with me. I like gore for what it dosen't have: lots of crowds because it dosen't cater to snowboarders or beginners. (if it ever did get its act together with these two huge markets, it could be one of the most popular mountains in the east, but also much more crowded. So, I'm fine with the way it is.)
    When I ski Gore it's usually with my 11 year old and I let him bring a friend or 2. When the friend is a snowboarder I always feel bad for him. Too many flat spots. The worst is getting off the summit quad and heading for Lies or Open Pit. Boarders either walk or push with one foot and it seems like it takes them forever and alot of energy. The terrain there is sure not snowboard friendly.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

The "parks" are a joke. A silly subsititue to shut up those damn snowboarders and XxXtreme Skierz. It's lame.

Someone above me commented and said they're missing the big picture, along with two gigantic markets, although they're kinda making a step to really put a lock down on beginner/learning centers.

the parks are trash, they're missing the boat, and from what's been said...nothing is coming for a few years....and then some. Don't hold your breath.

I think what Tmorry is saying is completely false. I think the parks at gore are thriving. They have some of the most extreme 3 foot rails and gnarliest funboxes i have every seen in the northeast. It is way better than any other "good" park such as West Mountain and Williard. I think that what Gore is doing is not only being a place to really embrace the art of freeriding but also they are being a pioneer to the entire "Genre" of skiing and snowboarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobesssss
    I think what Tmorry is saying is completely false. I think the parks at gore are thriving. They have some of the most extreme 3 foot rails and gnarliest funboxes i have every seen in the northeast. It is way better than any other "good" park such as West Mountain and Williard. I think that what Gore is doing is not only being a place to really embrace the art of freeriding but also they are being a pioneer to the entire "Genre" of skiing and snowboarding.
    You're so smart. Period and exclimation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobesssss
    sarcasm meter 10.

in all seriousness, i didnt buy my pass to gore this season just because of an email sent back to tmorry and several other freeskiiers and riders concerning the park, by Dave B. Basically flat out said that gore has a solid enough base of OTHER people at their mountain that they dont need to be concerned with the park. well dave, i am part of your business, whether you want me to be or not. and either you make some effort to make my days at gore more enjoyable, or you lose business. understood you have all kinds of shit to run through with the state, but gore is running a fucking ski resort. obviously there are going to be insurance issues. if gore really gave a shit at all, they could make a good enough case for better park features and funding as they do for cutting new trails and glades- just as risky as the park. and since you take the stand you do, im sitting at the desk looking at my jiminy pass. everyone who likes freestyle terrain knows gores rep for a shitty park. come on now.
    --------------------------

fight for a good park.

Everybody complains about it, but who has actually done something about it. I know Tmorry has tried talking to them and even presenting statistics that they so nicely ignored, but has any one else done anything. I going to try to do park crew instead of teaching, so I can hopefully help give them a step in the right direction. Plus teaching isn't to fun when you are just picking kids off the ground at the bottom of the J-bar for two hours.

i think we should start focusing our arguments towards a really good park at the bowl and the trails leading to the bowl. there is room to put stuff and its kinda like throwing all the freestylers to the bottom side of the hill, something gore would probly approve of doing, so all those gnarly tricksters wouldnt get in the way.
    --------------------------

fight for a good park.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAirJay
    Everybody complains about it, but who has actually done something about it. I know Tmorry has tried talking to them and even presenting statistics that they so nicely ignored, but has any one else done anything. I going to try to do park crew instead of teaching, so I can hopefully help give them a step in the right direction. Plus teaching isn't to fun when you are just picking kids off the ground at the bottom of the J-bar for two hours.
    It's true, but you can't get past any form of NEW action without out first opening the dialogue floodgates. You'll do park crew(and hopefully not just shred all day) and make improvements on the existing things...but that's not much to improve on. It's already shitty as hell...now say good dialogue is opened about new rails and jump building techinques, and then something is done about it financially and mountain-managerally by Gore, then the real direct-action by all of us could happen. Until then it's just putting band-aids on an broken bone.