Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tin Woodsman- nice work on the planning! They are putting in the burnt ridge lift in your second map, in addition to the gondola. I think part of the plan for the gondola is, as someone stated, a glorified taxi. Look at the conditions at the base now and think about the people who buck up minimum 450K for a house in Ski Bowl Village. They can walk (or ski is there is base left) from their house to the gondola to get up to the current base to ski for the day and then download back if neccessary. The goal is for a ski in ski out village, so the gondola is needed for that. The future plans include the train as well, so people without cars can ski right from the bowl. They ultimately want to have a gondola going from the train station to the village too, so even people staying in town at any future hotel or ski house can get to their skiing without a car.

I have the UMP revisions to the original plan at www.w-train.com/misc/gore.pdf
    Its a dry 7.

Thanks for the link, Wa. A couple of thoughts:

I am glad they revised the plans a bit and did away with the trails going down the north slope of Burnt Ridge. Those runs would have offered no vert. The trails down the east side offer a bit more bang-for-the buck.

The proposed trail to the east of topridge looks like it would be a nice addition to that pod, offering alternating steeps and flats. One might even be able to ski the old gondola line to the base where the two meet up.

The gondola connecting the base areas seems like a lot of money to invest in a glorified taxi, although some transport is neccessary. I'd rather have it at the base then connecting to the Gore summit-- keeps all the peeps away from the Straightbrook area!

Looking at these plans I cannot help but think of K-mart (on a smaller scale).

Money restored

http://www.poststar.com/story.asp?storyid=220143

With Tuesday's override of Pataki's veto frenzy, it looks like we have our Gondola/taxi and expansion plan back in shape.
    Its a dry 7.

Tin Woodsman for Congress

[quote="Tin Woodsman"]What a complete waste of money.

Doing so via expensive base to base gondola = stupid.

Here Here Tin Tin. Give that 5.5MM to a mountain that knows how to use it and has a much better expansion plan on the table. We don't need anymore flat spots on Bore. I meant Gore.

Re: Money restored

Quote Originally Posted by Wa
    http://www.poststar.com/story.asp?storyid=220143

With Tuesday's override of Pataki's veto frenzy, it looks like we have our Gondola/taxi and expansion plan back in shape.
    F the government. Long live King George.

Re: Questionable gondola...

Quote Originally Posted by adksara
    Yup, I agree... after looking at the proposed gondola map and then going over my own map, I just don't see how they can justify this huge expense of a gondola. It seems that the gondola will simply be a glorified taxi with nothing added to skiable terrain. Linking directly to Burnt Ridge or up to the North Chair would make so much more sense... maybe even spend the money to improve the North Chair to speed it up a bit!

And they say women are foolish with money. I say to hell with that sh!t. My sentiments exactly Sara.

I've hiked the Schaeffer (my spelling is terrible!) trail that runs up that area and there are quite a few spots that can have wonderful trails and glades and other areas that are just far to clifflike or flat... I hope that when they cut trails they would be sensible and really pay attention to the fall line and the lay of the land.

We'll see though... it doesn't seem to follow common sense with this gondola scheme - but then hey, that's the state for 'ya!

-ADK Sara

Well the 5.5 isn't just for the gondola. Its for the new trail system too. I think its going to improve Gore and I'm in favor of it.
    Its a dry 7.

Will it be money well spent?

And they say women are foolish with money ...SOD
    Not foolish when it comes to potentially messing with my skiing!

I'm still not convinced about the scope of the whole project. Knowing how government in general throws money into projects and then has to "fix" things later... I'm concerned... hopefully trails will be cut that add to the mountain terrain, the gondola idea will work out and the mountain will improve.

I was skeptical when they first proposed Topridge... I think my thoughts were "what are they nuts to put a trail in the full sun?" and knowing how side-pitch Pine Knot is made me wonder about Uncas. But that all worked out pretty well...

I wish that they would have some sort of open forum for skiers to have our two cents in this next stage of planning - maybe walk the land - make suggestions - I know that I would be up for a hike to let them know where I'd like to ski... whether they take our ideas or not - you never know what we could come up with.

-ADK Sara
    -Keep your skis happy!