Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chair lift for North Creek Ski Bowl

Today's Albany Times Union reports that the state budget includes $5.5 for a chair lift and new trails at the Ski Bowl. Not many details are given but this will not interconnect with Gore. I would think $5.5 would buy a fairly long chair lift?

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...date=3/30/2006

I found this map of the proposed Gore lifts (including the Gondola to the base)

Here is a link to an the image under another forum: http://www.snowjournal.com/images/ga...0406890d83.jpg

What a complete waste of money.

Connection to North Creek = smart.

Doing so via expensive base to base gondola = stupid.

Emily S is a pretty smart cookie, but this is going to be a tough sell. Why not run a lift to the top of Burnt Mtn? Or run one as high up as possible at the Ski Bowl? I can't understand why you wouldn't want the interconnect to open up new skiable terrain. Are there really going to be that many people who want to ski/stay at the North Creek base and start their day by taking a long transfer lift to the Gore base before dealing with the morning crowding there? Makes zero sense.

They are opening more skiable terrain at the ski bowl and a lifts up both the ski bowl and Burnt Ridge, so the long gondola isn't the only way to go. There are going to be trails coming down the eastern side of burnt ridge as well.
    Its a dry 7.

yeah i herd about that..sounds prettty cool to me...lets hear some more info
    When life gives you snow, skip school and hit the slopes!

Quote Originally Posted by Wa
    They are opening more skiable terrain at the ski bowl and a lifts up both the ski bowl and Burnt Ridge, so the long gondola isn't the only way to go. There are going to be trails coming down the eastern side of burnt ridge as well.
    I guess I should have made my point more clearly. I understand they are opening more terrain at the ski bowl. But given it's low elevation and limited vertical, it's not going to be a huge attraction. There's a reason the Ski Bowl closed in the first place. And I also understand that the long range plans call for a lift and trails on Burnt Ridge, but that could have happened irrespective of the Ski Bowl connection. Wouldn't it make more sense to either:

a) Run a lift high enough at Ski Bowl such that you could ski over to the Gore trail system directly like this

or

b) Run a lift from Ski Bowl (in addition to the dedicated Ski Bowl lift) up towards Burnt Ridge such that you could ski right down to the existing Gore lifts and trails accessible from that point in addition to any new trails that would be cut?

Either way, they are building a lift to serve North Creek terrain and, eventually, a lift to serve Burnt Ridge. Why waste the $8MM required for the gondola to nowhere?

I believe the current plan is to build the gondola as the next step (after the chair this year). If you look at my initial map you will see the burnt ridge lifts and gondola listed as "alternatives". As I understand it they have choosen the gondola alternative-(.

Tin Woodsman,

Great job on the mountain planning. I agree that that's a big chunk of change for close to zero benefit.

M

Quote Originally Posted by kornfein
    I believe the current plan is to build the gondola as the next step (after the chair this year). If you look at my initial map you will see the burnt ridge lifts and gondola listed as "alternatives". As I understand it they have choosen the gondola alternative-(.
    Well that's exactly the problem. The lift going in at North Creek is fine and all, but that's not what's the real attraction here - it's the connection to Gore itself that drives optimism and interest. The manner in which they will acomplish this goal (base to base gondola) is expensive and meaningless to the Gore skiing experience. Could even be detrimental to it.

Questionable gondola...

Yup, I agree... after looking at the proposed gondola map and then going over my own map, I just don't see how they can justify this huge expense of a gondola. It seems that the gondola will simply be a glorified taxi with nothing added to skiable terrain. Linking directly to Burnt Ridge or up to the North Chair would make so much more sense... maybe even spend the money to improve the North Chair to speed it up a bit!

I've hiked the Schaeffer (my spelling is terrible!) trail that runs up that area and there are quite a few spots that can have wonderful trails and glades and other areas that are just far to clifflike or flat... I hope that when they cut trails they would be sensible and really pay attention to the fall line and the lay of the land.

We'll see though... it doesn't seem to follow common sense with this gondola scheme - but then hey, that's the state for 'ya!

-ADK Sara
    -Keep your skis happy!