Friends program / Bumps lesson

Today I'll drive my 4 hours for a weekend spring skiing, do not think I've ever skied in April, must be fun.

Not having a season pass this year makes me eligible for "friends program", when you get 10% off, but is there such program on Whiteface (there is at Gore)? I'm glad there is 2006 Cristmas weekend included in non-holiday pass. This (and maybe next) weekend included would make getting pass tomorrow a great value (349-2*45, even 349-4*45 for next season).

My other question would be about ski instructors. Can anyone recommend a good Whiteface instructor to get some bumps/moguls lesson? I'm comfortable on most terrain, except bumps. Sometimes it feels that I need a shorter ski for the slope with moguls, should I be trying moguls with 192sm ski at all?

Thanks in advance, see you on the mountain this weekend.

Re: Friends program / Bumps lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Denison
    Today I'll drive my 4 hours for a weekend spring skiing, do not think I've ever skied in April, must be fun.

Not having a season pass this year makes me eligible for "friends program", when you get 10% off, but is there such program on Whiteface (there is at Gore)? I'm glad there is 2006 Cristmas weekend included in non-holiday pass. This (and maybe next) weekend included would make getting pass tomorrow a great value (349-2*45, even 349-4*45 for next season).

My other question would be about ski instructors. Can anyone recommend a good Whiteface instructor to get some bumps/moguls lesson? I'm comfortable on most terrain, except bumps. Sometimes it feels that I need a shorter ski for the slope with moguls, should I be trying moguls with 192sm ski at all?

Thanks in advance, see you on the mountain this weekend.
    Those are a bit long compared to the newer stuff. I used to ski the bumps with 200's back in the straight ski days. Here's some tips on skiing bumps.

1. Pick a zipper line through the course on hold it as long as you can. Kick your tails out a little to adjust your speed if need be.
    2. Try and pole plant on the back side of the mogul. This will keep you driving forward
    3. Keep your shoulders square and try to keep you upper body still. Keep you back straight and your knees together.
    4. Try hitting bump runs on lower pitches for practice before heading to the diamond or double diamonds.
    5. Try and look three bumps ahead. Don't look down at your skis.
    6. Have fun and practice makes perfect.

I'm not an instructor but I can beat (and have) most people in this forum on one good leg.

P.S. Getting hurt sucked but at least I'll always have that bragging right, eh HPD, S4L

Re: Friends program / Bumps lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Drifter
    I'm not an instructor but I can beat (and have) most people in this forum on one good leg.

P.S. Getting hurt sucked but at least I'll always have that bragging right, eh HPD, S4L
    As HPD has already said, "we're not worthy", SOD.

Good advice for Denison though... you didn't win the mogul comp last weekend without lots of practice/time in the bumps. Just to add, you may want to consider renting (or buying) shorter skis AND poles (at least for the bumps)... sounds like you could use some new equipment anyway.

As far as a good ski instructor, try Tom Amoroso, if he's still around (or look him up next season). He's one of the best, in my opinion.
    Skier 4 Life