Thread: 4/6/2006

4/6/2006

So with the end of the season fast approaching I felt it was a good day to skip class and make one of the last trips to Whiteface for the season. I got there at around 750 and was the first person in the lodge who wasnt already working. Hit the Gondola around 8:25. First run was down Essex/ Upper Northway then Upper Valley to base. Essex had been left ungroomed and still had some wind blown drifts of powder. Snow was a little crusty otherwise but that would soon warm up. The remainder was groomed out quite nice. Little crusty but still good snow. The groomers had done a damn good job of keeping the snow in good shape. I then hit up the summit which was socked in a cloud and was getting some light snow. It was real windy though so no accumulation. Visibility was short but the snow was great on Skyward. Got some first tracks through some treelines to the right at the top of Skyward. Snow cover was solid across the entire trail. Niagra was losing cover on the left but the right side was still sking awesome. Lower Sky was showing the most damage with some large bare spots, but the remaining snow still looked good. Run of the day was Mt Run. After about an hour the snow softened up just the right amount for a good corn harvest, and with barely anyone on the Mt, it stayed that way. Still plenty of snow left there and its skiing great.

The lower Mt is hurting, and Lower Valley probably will be done by the end of this weekend. Boreen and Brookside still have some decent snowpack left though, so top to bottom skiing looks good till Easter if you ask me. Get out there while you still can!

Nice report, they are always appreciated.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.