Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Guess the trail

I haven't skied it or been up it in the winter (I'd like to, though).

Colden definitely receives more snow than Whiteface because it is centrally locatated in the High Peaks region. When Whiteface receives a few inches of lake effect, Colden gets 6-12. With that said, coverage is probably better.

Icefalls might be an issue half-way up the slide where there is a 15 ft. waterfall. Of course, it could be completely covered in winter making for a sweet drop.

My biggest concern would be triggering an avalanche on the headwall. It is a consistent 45*. The rest of the slide is a moderate to mild pitch and would be a blast to ski.

Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    I skied it in its infancy - January 1992. And not from the top - about half way up. The snow was excellent (it always is back there it seems) but my "skills" were marginal. I think I was on borrowed tele skis and I KNOW I was in leather boots. Yuck.

Beautiful pix btw. That one lookin' down into avy lake gave me vertigo.

two Willys

A duel to find out who is the better swordsman. That's something the ladies should decide.

how long is the round trip of mt colden? it looks like an awesome hike.

could i have some directions to the trail?
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Quote Originally Posted by Lbtchnlgs
    how long is the round trip of mt colden? it looks like an awesome hike.

could i have some directions to the trail?
    Just traced it out on Topo. If you go through Avalanche Pass (and you should) down to lake colden over avalanche lake and up the opalescent to get to the backside of Colden (where that slide is) it's about 9 miles (just to the slide). Round trip, if you keep going when you're done with the slide, out and around Mt Colden via Lake Arnold: about 14 miles. So, a little math tells me that you could forgo the hike up avy pass and down to lake colden and the RT would be only 10 miles. But you'd miss some of the most spectacular views to be had in the ADKs and the ski down avy pass is a friggin' hoot. There's a bonafide ski trail through there and it's a blast. The snow is consistently good too. The ski across a frozen avy lake, which awaits once you go through avy pass, will not be forgotten. You're at the bottom of a knife-like chasm with 1000's of feet of granite rising up on both sides of you. Breathtaking the first time you see it. (Actually every time for me)

Go in at heart lake/adirondack loj. You can park right there. follow signs from there. it's easy: Heart lake to marcy dam to avalanche camp up through avalanche pass to avalanche lake to lake colden up the opalescent (there's a trail) to the trail to lake arnold. On your way to lake arnold you'll pass the slide on your left. When you're done skiin' the slide just keep going down the trail in the direction you had been travelling. that'll take you back to avalanche camp and now you're just backtracking on the same trail you used to get in. At that point you will have done a complete circumnavigation of Mt. Colden - very cool. Don't let the distance fool ya'. It's only 14 miles but I'd get an alpine start - especially if you're gonna climb that slide to the top, or nearly so, of Mt. Colden. You might want to camp out. That would be a very ambitious one day endevour. Moreso in the short days of winter. Have fun! can I come?!

edited to add: I'm thinkin' those distances sound a little short. take those as minimums. but they give you an idea. the terrain is rough going though. don't compare to the # of miles you might have x-country skied somewhere on groomed trails. It ain't like that at all.

thanks for all the info freeheel. i plan on hiking it this summer. Maybe next winter ill hike it and take the fun way down. I would probably camp over night so i have more time to snoop around

-chris
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things