Thread: Excelsior

Excelsior

I've never skied Whiteface. Anyway, I came across this pic:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...7572705HIlnNF#

What jumped out at me is that windy trail off Little Whiteface. Excelsior, I believe. Now that looks like a great classic run. So...what's it like? I really need to get up there...
    Greg

I dunno but that adkghostrider guy is such a loser! How the heck did you find that? He probably forgot it's still out there in cyberspace. Funny!

Excelsior is a nice trail but it's the only blue off the top of Lil' Whiteface so it gets heavily used/overcrowded and as a result it's avoided by many of us (If that makes any sense. It's kinda like the ol' Yogi saying: "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."). There are far better trails. C'mon on up and you'll see. BTW, Excelsior is usually one of the first to open.

Quote Originally Posted by freeheelwilly
    How the heck did you find that? He probably forgot it's still out there in cyberspace. Funny!
    Someone linked to it on Epicski. Thanks for the info though. Again, WF is on the to do list.
    Greg

I definitely agree with what was stated before. On an empty day with good snow, Excelsior is great! However, it sees TONS of intermediate traffic and granted, it is a good trail for itermediates to be on, it usually ends up as a crowded ice rink.

It's a great warm up trail though- long and uncrowded early in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by freeheelwilly
    I dunno but that adkghostrider guy is such a loser! How the heck did you find that? He probably forgot it's still out there in cyberspace. Funny!

Excelsior is a nice trail but it's the only blue off the top of Lil' Whiteface so it gets heavily used/overcrowded and as a result it's avoided by many of us (If that makes any sense. It's kinda like the ol' Yogi saying: "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."). There are far better trails. C'mon on up and you'll see. BTW, Excelsior is usually one of the first to open.
    I forgot that was out there too. Cool! He needs to get some new pictures on there.

Re: Excelsior

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    I've never skied Whiteface. Anyway, I came across this pic:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...7572705HIlnNF#

What jumped out at me is that windy trail off Little Whiteface. Excelsior, I believe. Now that looks like a great classic run. So...what's it like? I really need to get up there...
    From opening til 9-9:15am it's a great trail. After that it's the most dangerous spot on the mountain. As the only blue from the top every gaper that rides the gondi has to take it down. As a result it gets crowded and skied off real quick. At times it looks like a battlefield with bodies laid out everywhere. You can stand at turn three (at your own risk) and watch as people crash into one another. Sometimes the look of horror on their faces is a little funny. I remember last year helping someone put a ski back on and while doing so another 3 people fell around us inside five minutes. Management definiately needs to add another way down before someone else gets killed on that trail.

Maybe Ive just been fortunate but its never been the total carnage that you guys seem to see it as. Usually the spot where Excelsior and Parans meetup until the cutoff to lower cloud is pretty dicey but after that its not to bad. I will agree though that its like night and day if you ski it at 830 as compared to 1030.

that is too funny!!

he should be bannned!!!!!!!!!