Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the big hill

the big hill

since i don't see you guys over at the other place i'll post this here and see what u think. btw...not my post, stolen.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/eve...150233168.html

Everest climber passed dying Briton

May 23, 2006 - 12:55PM
    Double-amputee New Zealand climber Mark Inglis passed a dying Briton on his way to Everest's summit but realising nothing could be done to save him kept trekking to the top.

Inglis reached Everest's 8,850-metre summit on May 15 and became the first double amputee to reach the peak.He told NZ television today that about 40 climbers on their way to the top of Everest passed by the dying Briton David Sharp.On the way up the mountain, about two and a half hours into the final climb from camp four, the Inglis party passed Sharp, who had climbed without Sherpas the previous day, on May 14.

Sharp, 34, an engineer, had climbed alone, after leaving home on March 27 to travel to Everest's base camp. He had had apparently run out of oxygen about 300 metres below the summit, on his way down. The Briton was outfitted by Asian Trekking, whose expedition manager, Dawa Sherpa, told NZPA. "He had with him two 4 litre oxygen bottles. He had no Sherpa support." Inglis said it was very hard to go up Everest. "It was hard ... it is just so hard just to get there," Inglis said. "I think I can understand people who really do push it, push it, push it, and then don't get home."

One of Inglis' climbing companions, Wayne Alexander, of Christchurch, told the Telegraph newspaper in Britain: "We came across a chap sheltering under a rock, who was perhaps hours from death. That was probably only two and a half hours into the climb. He had made a mistake the day before. He started too late and couldn't get off the mountain."

Today Inglis told TVNZ's Close-up program: "We couldn't do anything. He had no oxygen, he had no proper gloves -- things like that."
    Told that it had been suggested in New Zealand that Inglis' party should have stopped their ascent and rescued the man, Inglis replied: "Absolutely, that's a very fair comment.

"Trouble is, at 8,500 metres it's extremely difficult to keep yourself alive -- let alone keep anyone else alive," he said.
    "On that morning, over 40 people went past this young Briton -- I was one of the first." In radio calls, his party was told that if the man had been there any length of time without oxygen, there was nothing that could be done for the climber. "He was effectively dead ... so we carried on," said Inglis. "Of those 40 people that passed this young Briton, no one helped him except for people from our expedition."

thoughts?

Yeah i saw that post over there just a few minutes ago. It's unimaginable.

by the way im Chris I at the New England forum as well as the ADK forum
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

this is being hashed out by armchair mountaineers all over the internet.

I've never been above 8000 meters (other than airplanes) and never will be. I won't judge the actions of those who have.

Quote Originally Posted by freeheelwilly
    this is being hashed out by armchair mountaineers all over the internet.

I've never been above 8000 meters (other than airplanes) and never will be. I won't judge the actions of those who have.
    wussy!

Not surprising

In todays world I would expect nothing less. You see it on a smaller scale everyday in our routine lifes. I am not excluded. I would hope if I were put in that situation I would do the right thing.

PLAY GOLF

FORE!!!!!!

tj - im getting the new tm rescue for dad's day...replacing the 3 iron, pretty psyched to hit that puppy!

Rescue clubs

I got rid of my three and for iron a year ago. Replaced them with a seven wood. Could use a 9 wood but just cant bring myself to put it in the bag.
    I dont think I am getting any new clubs this summer. Bought a new shaft for my driver and increased my drive by 5 to 10 yards. Gave up the smoke for the time being and my handicapp dropped 5 strokes in the first month. Go Figure. I keep telling myself it is becuase of all the lifting and stretching that I have been doing over the winter.

Re: Rescue clubs

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67
    I got rid of my three and for iron a year ago. Replaced them with a seven wood. Could use a 9 wood but just cant bring myself to put it in the bag.
    ya! just say 'no' to the 9 wood or put a skirt on...one or the other! hahahaha!!

i just ordered a 52 and 56 wedge. im having a hard time w/ the 100-110yd thru 125-130yd shots and i can't hit my old S off the grass for anything...the bounce area is fat and im just not that good. i have a 60 degree but can usually only get 80 or so out of it. its all about hitting it clean!

Jackie

i just ordered a 52 and 56 wedge. im having a hard time w/ the 100-110yd thru 125-130yd shots and i can't hit my old S off the grass for anything...the bounce area is fat and im just not that good. i have a 60 degree but can usually only get 80 or so out of it. its all about hitting it clean

Wedges are the hardest club to hit in my bag. The bounce on them has a lot to do with it. Mostly I find my self scoopng them instead of hitting them with a decending blow. When I keep my left forearm stiff and force it through the shot I have better results. When it needs to count though I take out my pitching wedge and use the 3, 5, 9 o'clock rule. Usuually works better but not the solution.

Played in a tourney this weekend. Shot a 135 gross for two days. When money is out there I step up. My handicap it 13. can you say cha-ching.

Can say, sand bagger
    The older I get the faster I was