Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2006 admendments to WF UMP coming up

Nice plan, something for everyone

52 ACRE GLADE proposed in the Tree Island POD!

Any idea where we can see the full repot? Release date?

website

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider
    Any idea where we can see the full repot? Release date?
    I'll let U know when its posted on the web.

Changes since 2004

A few observations and opinions about the changes made since the 2004 UMP:

1) As Phineas pointed out, a large glade has been proposed for the Tree Island Pod. Judging by the topography of where it is proposed, it looks like it could be very gnarly in sections. Depending on the lines they cut this glade could be FAR steeper than anything currently at WF. I viewed satelite photos of the terrain. The center section of the proposed glade appears to have nice open forests.

2) "Whiteface Glade" as it was called in 2004 (the area between Paron's and Cloudspin) has been eliminated from the plans. The tree island glade looks like a better plan IMO.

3) The proposed lift now looks to be a triple instead of a double. It's a good change from the perspective that it will encourage skiers to utilize this terrain, thus spreading out the crowds better. However, the higher lift capacity will likely degrade trail conditions faster than a double.

4) The trail network for tree island has changed dramatically. The runs no longer branch off as previously proposed. Instead, two diamond run consistently from top to bottom. They are slated to be wider than previous plans and more linear in design with some double fall-lines. I would have preferred narrower runs.

5) A proposed trail between Upper Mac and Empire looks to have been eliminated.

The intermediate trail from the tree island pod to the base looks like it will be a great, long cruiser with a moderate pitch.

I am concerned that the supposed intermediate trail leading back to the tree island lift is a bit steep for a blue run (based on the topography it traverses). Steep terrain + intermediate skiers + high volume + no other intermediate options to the lift = icy conditions.

One more observation...

There is no longer a trail from the tree island pod to the summit quad. I hope that the summit quad will be accessible from the new trails. Having to ski down to the base to access the summit would suck.

Is there any funding in place to accomplish any of the objectives.

Short term fix they should put vents in the bathrooms downstairs and get that stink out of there. It smells up the entire locker area.

thats a good point

Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    One more observation...

There is no longer a trail from the tree island pod to the summit quad. I hope that the summit quad will be accessible from the new trails. Having to ski down to the base to access the summit would suck.
    counting contours it looks like the new triple would be 20 feet lower than the summit quad... humm.. it would be perfect if their was a choice ...

I got no problem humping the 20 feet but that's me... I'll check in2 it though

I really hope that they make a connector from the new trails to the summit. It would be a major pain to have to ride two lifts again to get up there.

Also, anyone know how strict they are for a little "local initiative" glade cutting. Or would they make a stink? Ive been eying the eliminated glade area between Cloudspin and Parons and itd be sweet to hack a tight little thing up. Keeping respect for the wildlife and rules of the park of course. Alot of local hills round NH where I call my true home have alot of locals only spots that were cleared out by locals a while back, itd be sweet to fab something up.

[quote="AdironRider"]I really hope that they make a connector from the new trails to the summit. It would be a major pain to have to ride two lifts again to get up there.

Also, anyone know how strict they are for a little "local initiative" glade cutting. Or would they make a stink?

Very strict, big stink