Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bummer. At least I know of a few locals only spots at Cannon that are pretty sweet.

Connect to summit quad

Looks like the proposed new trails come within inches of the 25 mile limit (24.96) (I always thought it was a 26 mile limit...guess I was thinking about Catalina Island song). Hopefully there will be a "service road" for groomer convenience that wil serve the same purpose.

Re: Changes since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    4) The trail network for tree island has changed dramatically. The runs no longer branch off as previously proposed. Instead, two diamond run consistently from top to bottom. They are slated to be wider than previous plans and more linear in design with some double fall-lines. I would have preferred narrower runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faceplant
    Looks like the proposed new trails come within inches of the 25 mile limit (24.96) (I always thought it was a 26 mile limit...guess I was thinking about Catalina Island song). Hopefully there will be a "service road" for groomer convenience Wink Wink that wil serve the same purpose.
    Number 4) from takeahike46er's post is disappointing if that means wider, straighter trails as opposed to windier, narrow trails. I wonder if Faceplant's observation has anything to do with that - would a windy trail put them above the limit, given that they are so close? Is the limit only a function of miles, not acreage? If so it seems like they have nothing to gain by making trails narrower from the standpoint of what they can legally do (they'd be more fun, of course, though ).
    -Kenny

The trail mileage is the only limit I have ever heard mentioned with regards to expansion. I assume an acreage limit either doesn't exist or WF is not worried about reaching it.

I think the changes made to Tree Island were largely to preserve Bicknell's Thrush habitat. The branching trail design was eliminated to decrease the number of tree "islands" (since Bicknell's Thrush favors larger chunks of forest). With less branches to disperse skier traffic and an increase in lift capacity, the trails were widened where possible.

Some observations/thoughts:

1) The parallel trail design is pretty uninspired. Is that really the best that could be done? Anyone want to take bets on how many cat tracks Whiteface will cut between the two trails and label as trails (a la Cloudspin and Skyward)?

2) Please don't widen Empire. It's not as if a wider Empire will alleviate skier congestion, but it will take away a unique trail. I still remember the pre-widening Wilderness, and how much more fun that trail was.

3) 50 acres of glades could be fun, yes, but I hope Whiteface learns how to cut a decent glade. Just cutting some trees isn't enough. Whiteface should hire some trail design consultants to get the most out of the terrain.

4) Widen Niagara? Really? How much wider does it need to be?

5) I was unaware of the so-called 25 mile trail length limit. Before permanently removing trees and making more Whiteface trails increasingly more generic, why not focus on amending the 25 mile limit? If more trails could be cut, but narrower, wouldn't the environmental effect be similar?

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles

1) The parallel trail design is pretty uninspired. Is that really the best that could be done? Anyone want to take bets on how many cat tracks Whiteface will cut between the two trails and label as trails (a la Cloudspin and Skyward)?

2) Please don't widen Empire. It's not as if a wider Empire will alleviate skier congestion, but it will take away a unique trail. I still remember the pre-widening Wilderness, and how much more fun that trail was.

3) 50 acres of glades could be fun, yes, but I hope Whiteface learns how to cut a decent glade. Just cutting some trees isn't enough. Whiteface should hire some trail design consultants to get the most out of the terrain.

4) Widen Niagara? Really? How much wider does it need to be?

5) I was unaware of the so-called 25 mile trail length limit. Before permanently removing trees and making more Whiteface trails increasingly more generic, why not focus on amending the 25 mile limit? If more trails could be cut, but narrower, wouldn't the environmental effect be similar?
    Nice post. U make some good points.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackMudPuddles

answer - none

4) Widen Niagara? Really? How much wider does it need to be? answer - wide enough to host a world cup DH race

answer - Whiteface is Forest Preserve - their was a constitional admendment in the 50s to expand. to go beyond that would require passage of two consecutive Senate/Assenbly and then a vote by all the peoples of the state.....

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas
    answer - Whiteface is Forest Preserve - their was a constitional admendment in the 50s to expand. to go beyond that would require passage of two consecutive Senate/Assenbly and then a vote by all the peoples of the state.....
    HEY, you don't have to yell. Not everybody knows this stuff backwards and forwards like you. You probably wouldn't either if you didn't have the job you do.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.