Planning a trip- weather at xmas time OK?

Made our first trip to Whiteface/LP this past Jan and had a blast. Planning our return trip already... I'd like to make it the end of Dec to correspond w/ the kids' school vacations so we can stay longer, but am wondering if it's too early in the season to be reasonably assured of skiing conditions. I'm told last winter was a fluke- it was in the 50's in mid Jan when we got there (fortunately, it immediately dropped to minus digits for the rest of our stay!). Historically speaking, is the last week of December a decent time to shoot for?

Re: Planning a trip- weather at xmas time OK?

Quote Originally Posted by \"tobnpr\"
    Made our first trip to Whiteface/LP this past Jan and had a blast. Planning our return trip already... I'd like to make it the end of Dec to correspond w/ the kids' school vacations so we can stay longer, but am wondering if it's too early in the season to be reasonably assured of skiing conditions. I'm told last winter was a fluke- it was in the 50's in mid Jan when we got there (fortunately, it immediately dropped to minus digits for the rest of our stay!). Historically speaking, is the last week of December a decent time to shoot for?
    Glad you had a blast your last trip. Christmas vacation week is usually better then decent. Mountain management goes all out to have WF in great shape for that week.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

WF X-mas trip

Usually the weather is OK, but the past few years we have had one or two warm days during the holiday week. WF does everything in their power to make the skiing good regardless of weather. Please note that Christmas week is the busiest of the year...be prepared for large crowds in the parking lots, lodges and on the slopes. Kids Kampus resevations should be made way in advance. I guess that is the same at any major ski area during Christmas.... Cheers!

Hey

I'm new to these boards but I've been active on AZ and skimrv.com. I'm new to Whiteface & Gore but I've wanted to check-out WF for a long time and just haven't been able to do it until . . . THIS YEAR.

It's now confirmed: I'm taking the wife and kids to the Lake Placid area during Christmas week. I know it will be more crowded (and expensive) then but, from what I've heard, it'll be less crowded than most of the big mountains in Vermont. I've been looking into lodging options the last few days and have come to some conclusions. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone here might be able to provide.

We need something that sleeps 6 because it'll be my wife and I plus our 4 children. We're thinking 5 nights from 12/27 thru 1/1. We figured staying in Lake Placid would be better (although more expensive) because then we are centrally located for activities that some of the kids might enjoy. My primary objective that week will be to ski Whiteface (and Gore) but I've got to have alternatives for the kids in case of bad weather or wind holds (or something). 2 of my sons will be skiing right with me every day I hit the slopes but my wife and daughter might want to take a day off from skiing.

The best deal (at this point anyway) seems to be at the Best Western Golden Arrow. It has an indoor pool and a big enough room for all of us with a somewhat reasonable price tag. What is the consensus (if any) about this place? Anything better for the money? My primary objective is to get the cheapest room I can (with enough room for all of us) since I plan on spending most of the day on the mountain. I don't need (or want) fancy. We also are looking at the Northwoods Inn and the Crowne Plaza (formerly Holiday Inn). An indoor pool is a great feature for us since all my children love to swim. Especially after a tough day on the slopes!

Lift tickets are a separate issue because there are no ski and stay deals during Christmas week. I'm thinking about three day passes because then we get the Olympic Passport (at least based on last year's terms). We definitely want to ski Gore one of the days but realize that WF is where the best skiing is. So it'll probably be 2 (or 3) days at WF and 1 day at Gore.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by madskier6
    It's now confirmed: I'm taking the wife and kids to the Lake Placid area during Christmas week. I know it will be more crowded (and expensive) then but, from what I've heard, it'll be less crowded than most of the big mountains in Vermont.
    Good choice, I think you and yours will have a great time.

2 of my sons will be skiing right with me every day I hit the slopes but my wife and daughter might want to take a day off from skiing.
    There is a tobogan run that goes out on Mirror Lake that kids really like, there is also dog sled rides on Mirror Lake. Also ice skating on the Olympic Oval. Theres Bowlwinkles, they have Arcade, Cosmic Bowling, Laser Tag. Another choice is Avalanche Adventure bungy jumping, caving, a climbing wall and indoor miniature gold. They could also take a bobsled ride or take in a movie.

The best deal (at this point anyway) seems to be at the Best Western Golden Arrow. It has an indoor pool and a big enough room for all of us with a somewhat reasonable price tag. What is the consensus (if any) about this place? Anything better for the money? My primary objective is to get the cheapest room I can (with enough room for all of us) since I plan on spending most of the day on the mountain. I don't need (or want) fancy. We also are looking at the Northwoods Inn and the Crowne Plaza (formerly Holiday Inn). An indoor pool is a great feature for us since all my children love to swim. Especially after a tough day on the slopes!
    Best Western has a nice pool. Northwoods is right in the middle of Main Street, great location. I don't think I've been in the Crowne Plaza.

If you want to hook up for some runs let me know.

HPD

Golden Arrow is a good spot. My wife and I stay there whenver we are in town. Be sure and check out Lake Placid Pub and Brewery(PJ's) for a late lunch---great fish and chips.
    The older I get the faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    If you want to hook up for some runs let me know. HPD
    I definitely want to hook up for some runs. It would be great to ski with you, HPD, and get a local's tour of Whiteface. Hopefully the conditions will be good this year at Christmas.

If you want to hook up for some runs let me know. HPD
    I definitely want to hook up for some runs. It would be great to ski with you, HPD, and get a local's tour of Whiteface. Hopefully the conditions will be good this year at Christmas.
    Sounds good. I don't want to misrepresent. I don't live local to WF (I wish I did) I live 2 hours south. I stay over in Lake Placid about half the weekends in winter. The other half I do day trips to WF one day and Gore the other. I will be at WF most of Xmas week.

Sounds good. I don't want to misrepresent. I don't live local to WF (I wish I did) I live 2 hours south. I stay over in Lake Placid about half the weekends in winter. The other half I do day trips to WF one day and Gore the other. I will be at WF most of Xmas week.
    I used the term "local" loosely. I meant that you were a Whiteface local in that you ski there a lot and therefore, must know the best runs and when to ski which runs under which conditions. We also will be skiing at Gore at least one day. Thanks for your offer.
    Jeff