Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Re-Vegetating Trails

Hypothetical:

It's the year 2015. The Tree-Island Pod is complete. Whiteface has reached the 25 mile limit that the ski area is constitutionally allowed. Whiteface tries unsuccessfully to raise the ceiling to 30 miles of trails. The ski area wants to add new terrain, but the only way to do so is to re-vegetate existing terrain. What currently existing trails do you re-vegetate and why?

I really wish I had the free time you have...

Just trying to get some interesting threads started here.

I'd could do without the switchbacks between Sky and Cloud. I wouldn't miss Essex too much if it meant a new black elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er

I'd could do without the switchbacks between Sky and Cloud. I wouldn't miss Essex too much if it meant a new black elsewhere.
    The switch backs aren't going to give you a whole lot of miles back. Essex is a good call. Upper Boreen (a "blue" I think) could be filled in without anyone missing it.

switchbacks between sky and cloud are good because the bottom of upper cloud opens earlier...also good way to sneak in and poach. i love essex..that is part of the "regular route" when taking gondi up for first time. I could do without upper northway over essex, upper thruway, i suppose if i had to get rid of some. I dont use lower wilderness too much, but thats the bump run, so you cant do away with that. I would want other blacks to compensate too. i could find plenty of blues and greens to get rid of, but thats what the majority of visitors want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsavolion

switchbacks between sky and cloud are good because the bottom of upper cloud opens earlier...also good way to sneak in and poach. i love essex..that is part of the "regular route" when taking gondi up for first time. I could do without upper northway over essex, upper thruway, i suppose if i had to get rid of some. I dont use lower wilderness too much, but thats the bump run, so you cant do away with that. I would want other blacks to compensate too. i could find plenty of blues and greens to get rid of, but thats what the majority of visitors want.
    Upper NW is a much better run than Essex. Essex is always in the shade and as a result it's almost always in worse condition than say NW.

I like Essex and Upper Northway, maybe they could get rid of Empire.

ONLY KIDDING
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Drifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsavolion

Upper NW is a much better run than Essex. Essex is always in the shade and as a result it's almost always in worse condition than say NW.
    not part of the regular route!

Essex could go. Northway is similar enough that the variety of trails on the mountain wouldn't be affected. +1000 ft.

With Easy Acres expanding and all the greens concentrated on skier's left side of the mountain, perhaps Wolf and Wolf Run could go. Wolf is isolated, disconnected from any other green run making it only valuable from the bear lift. +2350ft.

Lose some of the switchbacks between Cloud and Sky. +600ft.

That would be +3950 ft, enough for additional full length trail, or 2 to 3 short trails/glades.

Essex stays! It's one of the first blacks to open and skier's left on the lower half holds good snow. Plus, with more snow, that whacky bulge in the middle is a lot of fun skier's right. Plus it's part of the regular route and you can use it to avoid clusterfuck corner on excelsior and still get over to lower cloud and chair 6. Duh!

Here's the thing, other than nixing some silly greens maybe that really aren't needed- you don't need to get rid of anything! Most of the trails are far too wide for my tastes. We could get that MRG thing goin. Just revegetate the edges of almost all the trails. Essex is twice as wide as it needs to be and so is upper Northway. Lower wilderness should be just the bumps - skier's right sucks anyway-it's exactly the same pitch as Mountain Run. And Mountain Run - don't get me goin' on that! Lower sky and lower cloud could easily be halved in width - maybe more. Imagine lower sky as a windy trail? how cool would that be - it's gotta about 3 or four separate pitches on it - that would be cool.

And screw FIS regs. Who needs 'em!

So there it is. That's "The Answer". Next I'm gonna solve our nation's dependency on Middle Eastern Oil. It's so obvious!