Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ????????

????????

What is the speepist pitch on whiteface and where is it?

outside of the slides - niagara (just a guess). this question needs some parameters like minimum length. Otherwise the backside of some manmade roller, like we get on mountain run or lower cloudspin might be the "steepest pitch" - but they're 13 feet long.

I dont know the percentages but I would say when you go into ravens haven from the top and stay skiers right you get to a pitch after about 70 yeard. Its down a rock face that has a ton of moss on it that grabs the snow and makes it stick to it. Oh thats a fun shot. Its got a lot of pucker factor to it

ok....
    A) where and what is raven's haven on whiteface
    b) Which part of cloudspin is Niagra. I've heard that it is the lower pitch before the runout above connector and I've heard it is the very top of the trail.
    Also check out what sandy caligiore said in 2004 were the steepest ( average pitch) trails on the mountain
    "In order, here are the average pitches along the entire length of the trails: Niagara (Upper Cloudspin) 33 degrees; Slides 31 degrees; Upper Skyward and Wilderness 27; Upper MacKenzie 23; Upper Cloudspin 21; Empire 18. There are sections of these runs, of course, that are steeper than the average." ( from alpine zone ski area chall.)

Quote Originally Posted by ajl50
    ok....
    A) where and what is raven's haven on whiteface
    b) Which part of cloudspin is Niagra. I've heard that it is the lower pitch before the runout above connector and I've heard it is the very top of the trail.
    Also check out what sandy caligiore said in 2004 were the steepest ( average pitch) trails on the mountain
    "In order, here are the average pitches along the entire length of the trails: Niagara (Upper Cloudspin) 33 degrees; Slides 31 degrees; Upper Skyward and Wilderness 27; Upper MacKenzie 23; Upper Cloudspin 21; Empire 18. There are sections of these runs, of course, that are steeper than the average." ( from alpine zone ski area chall.)
    A) Part of Cloudsplitter Glades. If you go in from Upper Northway it's a long traverse skier's right.
    B) When you come out from Connectoer and look up to your left that is Niagara.
    Empire's average 18 degrees includes the run out at the bottom.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Empire is not that steep. It tight with a lot of big rocks that make it fun. I like carring speed into it launching off the lip and then scrambling like crazy to check speed and avoid the rocks. You are down around the corner before you know it and thats when it starts to get hairy. I always stay way to the right it seems the less traveled route. Got lots of nicks from that trail.

how about extreme skier's left of ladies' drop?

"When you come out from Connectoer and look up to your left that is Niagara."
    That's what i thought. That part felt the steepest to me last time I was there but it held great snow on the sides so it wasn't has hard as the upper part of the run.

Quote Originally Posted by freeheelwilly
    how about extreme skier's left of ladies' drop?
    WHere is ladies drop? Upper sky skiers rt at the beginning has a steep pitch. Good place to check your form. Getting right out over the top trusting your edges. FUN FUN.

by the crossover loop right above weber's way