Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maybe someone can

explain. Everytime we go up the lift and they are blowing snow, the guns are tilted to high and all the snow is blowing into the woods. It's just me but if it's windy I would tilt the guns down a few degrees and blow a pile so the groomers could distribute the snow evenly on the SLOPE. Just a thought maybe someone has a answer common sense question?

I have asked myself the same quesiton. I asked somebody once and they told me that it gave the stuff time to freeze so it was light. I didn't really believe when i was told and I'm not sure I believe it now.

I thought the snow making crews get a sick enjoyment of pointing the guns directly at the lift.

Snowfall has been down the past couple years, we need a good base in the woods and that seems to be the answer
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

I think that by angling the guns up, the air/water mixture coming out of the nozzle has a longer way to fall to the ground leading to a superior product. That's the theory behind those permanent tower guns on upper/lower valley anyway. If the stuff isn't exposed to the cold air as it falls long enough you end up with that wet, gloppy, sticky crap.

Depends on how cold it is. They are safe if they point them up. When it is very cold they can open up the water and point them down. Its PITA though. I made snow up at sugarbush one winter in he evenings and walking up and down that mountain got old quick. Unless it was below 10 we would always point them up. When it got down near zoro we could lower them and open up the water all the way. When you see big swails it is because the snowmakers fell asleep and did not get out during the night to repostion them. We used to go out three times a night and never had huge swails. However I like the swails so who is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by freeheelwilly
    I think that by angling the guns up, the air/water mixture coming out of the nozzle has a longer way to fall to the ground leading to a superior product. That's the theory behind those permanent tower guns on upper/lower valley anyway. If the stuff isn't exposed to the cold air as it falls long enough you end up with that wet, gloppy, sticky crap.
    ding ding ding--willy gets the prize! its water is the hose and only turn to snow once it hits the air, longer in the sir the more dry. whiteface snowmaking crew knows what they are doing and they do a superior job.

Interesting stuff, i always wondered myself why they pointed up so much and so much blew into the woods. Now i know...

Quote Originally Posted by cover
    Interesting stuff, i always wondered myself why they pointed up so much and so much blew into the woods. Now i know...
    I don't care where they point them. It just seems pointless to put the snow in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteface Willy
    Quote Originally Posted by cover
    I don't care where they point them. It just seems pointless to put the snow in the trees.
    Yo what are you doing up so early grumpy? I figured you would be sleeping in after your B-day night out