Gore expansion article

Greg

I noticed on the plans for the expansion there is a trail to Gore Mountain Base Lodge and a trail from Gore Mountain. After looking at a topo map of the area, I am somewhat bewildered how a trail connecting the two areas is feesible in either direction. The trails would have to be cut almost horizontally across the mountain slopes, traversing some flat terrain. Would they not be another "Cloud"?

The plans are rather ambitious. In suppose I am for the concept because it would help Gore compete against the stiff competition in Southern VT. I would suggest scaling back some of the development to some degree.

I looked at some aerial photography of Gore at http://www1.nysgis.state.ny.us/MainMap.cfm . It appears that there is already a trail that runs from the bottom of the North Quad that meanders over to the ski bowl. Had no idea it existed. (There is a lot of other goodies visible at the quarter-mile resolution-- take a look)

Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    I looked at some aerial photography of Gore at http://www1.nysgis.state.ny.us/MainMap.cfm . It appears that there is already a trail that runs from the bottom of the North Quad that meanders over to the ski bowl. Had no idea it existed. (There is a lot of other goodies visible at the quarter-mile resolution-- take a look)
    I skied it last year when they where offering tours. Way too many flat spots where you had to walk or skate. In one spot you had to go up hill.
    The Stone Age didn’t end because people ran out of stones.

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    I skied it last year when they where offering tours. Way too many flat spots where you had to walk or skate. In one spot you had to go up hill.
    That's what the topo maps seemed to indicate. That certainly spoils the idea a bit.

economic impact study

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/mar04/goremt.pdf#search='gore mountain'

Quote Originally Posted by takeahike46er
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    That's what the topo maps seemed to indicate. That certainly spoils the idea a bit.
    there will be a whole pod over there - mostly intermediate terrian but U got to work w/ what U got down there...

It should be interesting.... Hopefully the beginners will stay down there.

Their whole plan seems pretty cool. I had another image I found somewhere (aside from the pdf map that article shows) that showed some ideas as to how to connect.