Thread: 1/23/07

1/23/07

Hit up the mountain yesterday for the first time in over a month. Id been watching Whiteface add terrain by the day it seemed over break and was anxious to get out there. The mountain did not dissapoint. I was on the hill by 830, hit up Johns Bypass for the first time and headed up the summit. They were blowing snow all over the place including Bear (looks like theyre actually opening the pipe early this year!), Brookside, Boreen, Lower Valley, Wilderness, Niagra and Skyward. When I first got up to the summit Sky was still roped so I hit up Parons. This ended up being the run of the day, as the snow was absolutely incredible, so edgeable and fast. I rode up to the summit again and loe and behold, they were dropping the rope to Sky right in front of me. First public rider of the season. The snow was soft and the coverage was excellent. Some mean manmade whales were out there but it was awesome none the less. The whole mountain had good snow except for a few normal sections on Excelsior, etc. Mt. Run was nice, and Drapers was firm and fast. Awesome. By the end of the day they were blowing on Parons again.

I missed out on Sats dump but today was by far the best day of the season. The snowmakers have done an awesome job. Best day of the season.

Re: 1/23/07

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider
    Hit up the mountain yesterday for the first time in over a month. Id been watching Whiteface add terrain by the day it seemed over break and was anxious to get out there. The mountain did not dissapoint. I was on the hill by 830, hit up Johns Bypass for the first time and headed up the summit. They were blowing snow all over the place including Bear (looks like theyre actually opening the pipe early this year!), Brookside, Boreen, Lower Valley, Wilderness, Niagra and Skyward. When I first got up to the summit Sky was still roped so I hit up Parons. This ended up being the run of the day, as the snow was absolutely incredible, so edgeable and fast. I rode up to the summit again and loe and behold, they were dropping the rope to Sky right in front of me. First public rider of the season. The snow was soft and the coverage was excellent. Some mean manmade whales were out there but it was awesome none the less. The whole mountain had good snow except for a few normal sections on Excelsior, etc. Mt. Run was nice, and Drapers was firm and fast. Awesome. By the end of the day they were blowing on Parons again.

I missed out on Sats dump but today was by far the best day of the season. The snowmakers have done an awesome job. Best day of the season.
    not first rider. they opened sky the other day.

They opened on Tuesday no? My report is for then. Everyone on the mountain said when I was there it was the first day for it to open.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider
    They opened on Tuesday no? My report is for then. Everyone on the mountain said when I was there it was the first day for it to open.
    right-sorry i read it today and thought you were talking about yesterday. sorry. very cool to be first on sky.

It was real nice, but I will admit, it wasnt virgin snow, patrol looked to have had their fun prior to the rope drop.