Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Now or wait a bit?

Really want to hit Gore once this season as I've never been. When I go, I want to experience as much of the mountain as possible as it's likely going to be a 3+ hour day trip. Looks like you're doing pretty well right now. Should I think about heading up soon or give it a few more weeks and hope for some more natural?
    Greg

I was there Friday and Sat and the mountain was skiing awesome. It will only get better with more natural snow.

At least wait until:

Wind chill is above zero.

Rumor is open.

The mountain is skiing pretty well right now . . .

I'd say Thursday and Friday are going to be sweet . . . Or if you're a weekend skier, this coming weekend should be solid.

In a perfect world, you'd visit right after we get a big dump. We only need about 8-10 inches and the glades should all open up. The base in there is solid, crusted over hardpack - perfect for covering up rocks, but not so good for skiing. If we get a foot and a half, the mountain will be a playground.

SO, I guess it depends . . . If you're just coming up on a recon mission to see what the mountain is like, then by all means, get up here . . . but it you TRULY want to experience all Gore has to offer, wait for the checkmark to appear next to Chatiemac Glades and Twister Glades.

unless they got some more natural snow since saturday id wait for some more real snow.
    --------------------------

fight for a good park.

come on up ,the skiings pretty good right now, just try to come midweek weekends are tough to cope with, unless you like that kind of stuff, its not for me,3hr drive, maybe you should stay for a few days, so get out there and get it.

If you can deal with the temps id head up there this week, the temps will keep many people away which of course means great conditions everywhere all day. I took a few runs on monday and had every trail to myself on the best snow yet
    Listen to the wind, It'll tell you things

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll probably just sit tight a bit. My plan was possibly for this Friday, but I'm just going to hit Hunter instead (2 hours). Plenty of season left. Again, it'll need to be a day trip for me so I want to be sure it's worth it, although it sounds like it is currently.
    Greg

I'm no weather expert, but I do know that when it is this cold, the coastal storms are driven south and out to sea. People who know are saying that a moderation towards end of next week may put us back in the game for a dump.

The weather guy at Mad River has a positive outlook:

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/

Harv

never put off to tomorrow what you can do today